YouTube video to help actors understand what The Alexander Technique is and why it is so necessary to your career.
Watch Hugh Jackman talk about the benefits of the Alexander Technique
In this video, College of Fine Arts School of Theatre, Boston University’s master lecturer Betsy Polatin teaches Benjamin Stanton (CFA’14) and students of the Alexander Technique.
Useful web links
- Society of Teachers of The Alexander Technique (STAT)
- American Society for The Alexander Technique (AmSAT)
- British Medical Journal on Back Pain
- Howard Fines Studio
- Sixteenth Street
- Gelb, M., 1995, Body Learning: An introduction to The Alexander Technique, Holt.
- McEvenue, K., 2002, The Actor and The Alexander Technique, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Heirich, J.R., 2005, Voice and The Alexander Technique, Mornum Press.
- Conable, B., 1991, How to Learn The Alexander Technique: A Manual for Students, Andover Press.
- de Alcantara, P., 1997, Indirect Procedures: A Musician’s Guide to The Alexander Technique, Clarendon Press.
- Netti-Fio, R., 2011, Dance and The Alexander Technique, Urbana, University of Illinois Press.
- Tharp, T., 2003, The Creative Habit, Simon & Schuster.
- McCallion, M., 1998, The Voice Book, Faber & Faber.
- Polatin ,B., 2013, The Actor’s Secret,North Atlantic Books, Berkeley,California.
What people are saying:
“I find The AlexanderTtechnique very helpful in my work. Things happen without you trying. Movement becomes light and relaxed.”John Cleese
“Without The Alexander Technique it is very difficult to become a first rate Actor”Larry Moss
“Once freed from the habitual tensions (so common place they are often not even recognised by the actor and singer) then the body can release into a greater range of expression with freedom, power and confidence.”Brett Wood
“The Alexander Technique doesn’t teach you something new to do. It teaches you how to bring more practical intelligence into what you are already doing; how to eliminate stereo-typed responses; how to deal with habit and change. It leaves you free to choose your own goal but gives you a better use of yourself while you work towards it.”Dr. Frank Pierce Jones
“Barbara’s work is an essential addition to the actor’s toolbox. Letting go of habits on all levels gives the actor the freedom to explore without tension and judgement. No actor should be without the freedom created by understanding how their body and their mind are released simply by aligning their physical self.”Adrian Barnes